Tuesday, April 20, 2010

book nerds and prophesy

I’m a total book nerd. Always have been. Always will be. Hubby wants to get me a Kindle, but I don’t know how much I'd like it. I love the feel of a good paperback in my hands.

Recently, I've read a biography of George Muller and C.S. Lewis. I've read 'This Beautiful Mess' by Rick McKinley, and 'The Great Divorce' by C.S. Lewis.

Right now, I’m reading 'Pure Scum: The Left-Out, the Right-Brained, and the Grace of God,' by Mike Sares of Scum of the Earth Church. I first visited Scum 8 years ago. When we moved to Colorado, we went a couple more times. And just recently, I've been trying to attend more frequently. My hubby went to a bible study way back when Reece Roper of Five Iron Frenzy was leading a study there. We love what they are doing, and this book is pure genius.

Last night, I was reading in 'Pure Scum,' and I read about how Psalm 22 is actually prophetic. I had never realized this. Here’s what I learned.

In the Bible, Matthew and Mark both record that “About the ninth hour, Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, Lama sabachthani?” – which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

Those who were nearby would have heard this and immediately thought of Psalm 22. The first line in Psalm 22 is “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” I've never fully been able to wrap my head around Jesus saying this. I find it hard to believe that God would have turned His face from His Son in His darkest hour. God has always promised to be there for us, but He can’t even stick around to support His own Son? But let’s read a little further in Psalm 22.

Verses 14-18 say I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. My heart has turned to wax; it has melted away within me. My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; you lay me in the dust of death. Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me, they have pierced my hands and my feet. I can count all my bones; people stare and gloat over me. They divide my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing.

I was blown away when I read this last night. If Jesus was just a really good scholar of God's Word, He could have stolen a donkey and road into Jerusalem on it without having been the true Son of God. If He had learned some magic, He might could have done some of the miracles that the writers of the Gospels tell us He did. But how could He have arranged for King David, who was long dead when Jesus was born, to have written so many details of His crucifixion if He wasn't indeed the Messiah? The Bible tells us that Jesus was very thirsty, and this Psalm tells us that his tongue would stick to the roof of his mouth. We know that unlike most others who were crucified, Jesus' hands and feet were pierced as He was nailed to the cross. We know that even though He suffered brutal beatings, none of His bones were broken. We know that those who gathered to watch Jesus die were casting lots for His clothing.

Maybe this isn't news to you, and you're wondering what took me so long in figuring out this little connection between what Jesus said on the cross and what David wrote in the Psalms, but Pastor Sares pointed it out to me, and I thought it was important enough to share with you.

If you're interested, I will be reading 'Surprised by Joy,' 'The Abolition of Man,' and 'A Grief Observed' by C.S. Lewis soon. Not sure why I'm on a Jack kick, but I am. I've always been fascinated with the way he saw the world around him and beyond him. This week, Gillian and I are reading "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" from the Chronicles of Narnia (for the third time) because we are both attending a Book Study of the book at church next week. and yes, we're super crazy excited for the movie to come out this year, thanks for asking.

For Narnia and for Aslan!!

No comments: