Thursday, September 10, 2009

Where I'm supposed to be?

When I first became a Christian, I would hear the phrase “God has me right where He wants me” thrown around a lot.

But I’m pretty positive that if I were in some hotel room right now with someone other than my husband, I would NOT be where God wanted me.

God knows what we’re going to do before we do it. He knows what our life will look like today, tomorrow and all the way until the day we die, and more than likely beyond that. But to say that whatever we do and wherever we go is part of God’s plan for us is a bit irresponsible.

We need to realize that God gave us a will. He wants us to use it to choose His ways and not any other ways. But we have the choice to exercise that will in a way that goes against what God would plan for us. Yes, He can turn whatever mess we create for ourselves into a beautiful thing down the road, but I wouldn’t say that it was His plan all along to have us suffer as many consequences as we end up with. I wouldn’t say that His plan for my life would be to have me cheat on my spouse, divorce and then end up in a closer relationship with Him.

I would imagine that He would prefer that I love my spouse and respect him and stay devoted to him, and that the challenges of loving someone else like that would draw me into that closer relationship that God desires for all of us.

What do you think?

No comments: