Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Mistakes

I am very adventurous with my foods. I love trying different flavors and techniques. I'm not the best chef, but I can hold my own in a kitchen nowadays. Much better than when I first married my husband. I endured 4 years of embarrassment because I was always calling my mother-in-law to remind me how to boil an egg.

I still can't remember how long to boil those suckers...

Tonight, I tried out a new recipe for Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas. I had tried one recently, and everyone liked it, so I decided to go all out and find a fancy version. I shredded the chicken, chopped the green onions, even cooked some spinach to sneak in there. After all was said and done, we all liked the first recipe better. No harm, no foul. The other recipe was extremely simple with fewer ingredients.

But that's not all I experimented with tonight.

I had seen a recipe for plantains in thick cream that made me think I might could pull it off and finally impress my mother-in-law. (Thank heavens she wasn't here tonight!) Plantains are like bananas only bigger and firmer. So I cooked the plantains in butter, sprinkled all the right amounts of vanilla, brown sugar and cinammon on them. I made the Creme Espesa and served it warm.

Then proceeded to spit it all out like I'd just taken a bite out of a hampster.

Oh good gravy, those things were nasty! All but my son begged me to just peel a couple of regular ol' bananas, sprinkle some of the brown sugar and cinammon on them and let them have that instead. My son is the easiest to please of our bunch, but I spared him and replaced his plantains with bananas. I thought that it would have to be much better. I poured a little of the cream over the bananas, and yet again spat it out. Ewwwwwwwwwwwww!

Oh well. You can't completely fail when trying something new because at least you tried. That's gotta count for something, right?

As my favorite cartoon character, Miss Valerie Frizzle, from the Magic School Bus always says, "Take chances, make mistakes and get messy!"

Yeah, that was one big honkin' nasty ol' mistake right there! Ewwwww!

No comments: