Thursday, August 16, 2007

May your faith increase

I get regular updates from a ministry that I love from Israel called Hands of Mercy. They sent one the other day and it has really moved me:

This is Yehuda. He is 1 ½ years old. Yehuda lives with his father and mother and his five brothers and sisters. He has few neighbors, but the neighbors he has are as close as family. Yehuda is the youngest in the family and the apple of everyone’s eye.

Yehuda’s parents, Raphael and Keren, are pioneers who helped establish Masuot Yitzchak, a mountaintop settlement in Gush Etzion.

They live with an open heart and an open door welcoming thousands of Jews into their home over the years…teaching, mentoring and bringing them closer to Judaism and the G-d of Israel. Raphael is the director of an organization that rescues troubled teens from all over Israel. Many, many young boys and girls have been saved by his outreach of love to them.

Yehuda lives with the crystal clear air, the magnificant view from the mountains overlooking Jerusalem, and a warm and adoring family.

But Yehuda also is battling leukemia. He is being treated at the Hadassah Ein Kerem Medical Center in Jerusalem. Five days a week Yehuda and Keren must take Yehuda for his treatments. The trip is long and expensive; amounting to $80 for each day they travel to the hospital. The doctors are estimating that Yehuda will need the treatments for the next two years. This is a tremendous amount of money for the family, and one they cannot possibly sustain. Their means are very limited, and they do not own a car. They are presently borrowing a car from a friend that is temporarily out of the country.

Please, please pray for little Yehuda, and consider our request to help this loving family. The family is relying on the mercy of G-d.

Strangely enough, a man no one knows comes at dawn every morning to their remote settlement and, standing in front of Yehuda's home, prays to the G-d of Israel.

I am overwhelmed with love from seeing that a stranger comes to this young boy's house every morning and prays to God. I want to be one who petitions God like this. I am really moved by this man's actions. He has a faith that I haven't tasted yet, and I am troubled that I have so far to go. Yet filled with anticipation and yearning to increase my faith and reliance on the Lord. Just the idea that the level of faith I'm demostrating isn't even close to my 'limit' is awe-inspiring. I am troubled by my lack, but encouraged by knowing that more is available.

Also please pray for Yehuda and his family.

No comments: