Friday, July 06, 2007

I'll Treasure You

I just recently bought my daughter a Strawberry Shortcake DVD called Seaberry Beach Party. I like Strawberry Shortcake and her friends because they remind me of my childhood and because of a story my mother-in-law told me about my husband. When he was very young, he saw a local news story about a family whose house had burned down. His heart went out to the young girl in the family who longed for her Strawberry Shortcake doll that had been lost in the fire. He told his mom that he wanted to buy her another Strawberry Shortcake doll and send it to her. They even did a newspaper article about his thoughtful gift to the girl.

As I was checking my email this afternoon, my daughter was watching the DVD, and I couldn’t help but be captivated by a song from the movie. I was so moved by the lyrics to the song that I thought I’d post them here for you to enjoy.

“A friend can be worth
Her weight in gold and more.
More precious each day
Than the day before.
The time you choose to spend
Together with a friend is all it takes

.
A few treasures found
Down in the deep blue sea
May sparkle and excite
Both you and me.
But putting trinkets first
Would have to be the worst of all mistakes.

Can treasure hold me close?
Can treasure comb my hair?
Would treasure laugh
At all my jokes?
Does treasure really care?
Do trinkets sit and chat?
Do trifles swear their truths?
Do golden baubles make me laugh?
They shimmer and they glimmer
But I think I’ll treasure you.

To all my best and sweetest friends
You know I’ll treasure you.”


Isn’t that sweet? Another really nifty thing about this particular Strawberry Shortcake DVD is that it came with its own Bible Study for you to go over with your child. I thought it was very well thought out and applicable to young children. I can appreciate anything that makes it easier to teach our young ones lessons like this one, so I thought I'd pass it on to you, my treasured friends.

1 comment:

Mr. Huseland said...

Thanks so much for typing this out. I rented it for my 3 daughters and I also was struck by the beautiful truth in the song.

Brian H. in Spokane, WA