Friday, December 05, 2008

Advent Conspiracy

Watch the video and then decide for yourself what you can do. I'd love to hear your ideas.

Here's what we are doing:

I heard a great idea at my MOMs table a few weeks ago that we are beginning this year. We are only giving the kids three gifts each. Not that we ever gave a ton of presents before, but we are intentionally limiting the number to three in honor of the three gifts that Jesus received when He was born.

I've always been a fan of handmade gifts, and this year several of our friends and family have decided to exchange handmade items instead of buying gifts.

I'm one of those parents who has already told the truth about Santa to my kids (not that they believe me), but they have always received a gift from Santa. Mostly because every living soul you meet for the first few days after Christmas asks my kids what Santa brought them. I've never wanted Santa to be the hero on Christmas morning so he never gave them the gift they were most looking forward to. That was for Ben and me to do! But this year, I'm thinking that the Santa gift will be $10 for each person that they can give to the charity of their choice. Since the kids are young, I will select three charities and tell them about each one and then let them decide how to donate their money. I think St. Nick would approve.

I'm also buying gifts that support or donate to charities or that directly support the workers who made them. By buying jewelry made by women rescued out of the sex trade business, I am enabling them to stay out of harms way and get their dignity back.

Worship Fully. Spend Less. Give More. Love All.

No comments: