Friday, October 10, 2008

Dear Jack

Dear Jack,

Let me just start off by saying how absolutely and completely you are loved. I have been praying for you for many years now. I knew after having your big sister and big brother that I wanted another child to add to our happy family, and I am so grateful to God that He has created you to live with us. We love you so much already, and we are very eager to meet you next Tuesday morning!

You have been such a good baby in utero. I was sick at first, but it was never really that bad. You never gave me any scares and were just so pleasant in my womb. I know that God has been watching after you, making sure all of your parts are in the right place and work the way they should. He's been busy creating you with love and care. I can't wait to see His handiwork! Your brother, sister, dad and I have been praying for you ever since we found out I was pregnant with you. And I know a lot of our friends and family have been praying for you too! Can you believe that?! You're not even here yet to warm our hearts and already you are covered in prayer and adored!

I've been busy trying to get everything ready for you. I've got lots of clean clothes, and your dad and I are putting your crib together this afternoon. I look forward to the day that you sleep soundly in the crib that we are building to keep you safe and comfortable.

I realize that no matter how much you plan for a new little baby, there's always something that we parents miss, so I hope you'll understand and be patient as Dad and I try to meet your every need. We try really hard, but sometimes we're just clueless. But we'll get better the more we get to know you and the things that make you happy. We're quick learners.

You have my heart. From now until forever. I will always try to do what I think is best for you. I'm sure I'll mess up sometimes though. I'm sure that I'll get upset for no good reason other than you're interrupting my train of thought in the moment. I'm sure that I'll get frustrated sometimes when you repeat what you want me to hear over and over again, louder and louder each time, and I haven't responded because I'm trying desperately to keep some other thought from escaping my brain. I'm sure that I'll not always want to answer your 'why' questions, even though I really want you to ask them of me. I love to learn, and learning about the things that kids are curious about is a lot of fun to us moms. So even though I sometimes have something I need to do first, I really want to hear your questions and help you find answers to them.

I will always try to take the best care of you. I know that I haven't always been the best cook around here, but we've managed and grown strong. Sometimes peanut butter and jelly is the most I can manage. Sometimes mac n cheese just seems like an excellent dinner. We eat lots of veggies and fruits around here too, so I sure hope you enjoy those. I realize that you will think that chocolate cake is the ideal breakfast, but just know that although every once in a while that might happen, I'm the mommy, and I need to do what's best for your growing body. So I'll probably veto you a lot on that. But it'll be ok because I'll probably discover something healthy to offer you that you adore. I've done it with your brother and sister and am sure that I can do it for you too.

Just want to let you know that I am already especially fond of you. Just like I'm especially fond of Gillian and Joshua. I really, truly, deeply love your dad, and I can't wait to introduce you to your Savior, Jesus. You are well loved and always will be no matter what you do or don't do. That's just the way we love around here.

I guess that's all for now. You keep growing strong in there, and I look forward to holding you in my arms in 4 days. Oh yeah, we're all dying to know what color hair you have. With our family's genetics, it could be anything! I'm sure whatever color God picked out will be perfect for you. And one more thing, I'm kind of crazy about photography, so I'm going to go ahead and apologize about putting a weird, black, clicky box in your face every so often. I'm sure I will want pictures of pouts and sneezes and all the little faces that you make, so don't feel like you always have to smile for me. I want to capture you, not anything else. So just be you, and I'll be over-the-moon happy with the photos. :)

Love, Mom

2 comments:

Lisa said...

What a great letter and gift to Jack. Being as how you're a mom of three, what is your schedule? Do you work on your blog after the kids are asleep? Just curious how you get it done. Take care.

lisa said...

thank you! right now, jack is still in the sleeping-a-lot phase, so i'm able to get things done. i also have recruited a few people for things like dishes and dinners - so i'm freed up to play on the computer for a few minutes at a time. my older two play so well together and rarely need me to find them something to do. i'm blessed. :)