Sunday, September 02, 2007

Would you love me?

Imagine that I am your spouse who you have chosen to love for better or for worse til death do you part. Our wedding is just beautiful, and we seem so devoted to each other as we start our life together, not as two anymore, but as one.

Sooner or later though, you start noticing that there is this distance between us. As you've been just as attentive and plugged into our relationship as you've always been, you wonder why I'm pulling away. You watch me pull away physically when you try to be affectionate and hold my hand. It even seems like I don't want to hear what you have to say anymore because I never take your suggestions and even go so far as to do the exact opposite of what I know you would want.

You discover that I have been cheating on you. Not once or twice, but it's happening all the time. I don't even bother to come home most nights. After a while, the only time you ever see me is when I need something. I will come home and act sincere, promising to work on our relationship more, begging for another chance. And so you forgive me and tell me you love me.

But of course, before long, I take off again, not caring about checking in, calling or anything.

So....if you were married to me - would you still love me? Would you stay married to me? Would you forgive me knowing that I am going to screw up again?

Would you love me even though I often ignore the fact that you sent your most treasured gift, your only Son, to die violently in order to restore our relationship?

Would I love a spouse like this?

I do NOT love like God - but I am grateful that He loves me when I am like this.

No comments: